What is the best m43 for focus tracking?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
clengman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297Gear list
Like?
Re: See this review..
In reply to olliess, Apr 3, 2013

olliess wrote:

Anders W wrote:

olliess wrote:

I was asking about that exact post. You state that the system only shifts the sensor in rotation about the horizontal axis (which I take to be the optical axis). So does this system compensate pitch and yaw only using vertical/horizontal translation?

Pitch and yaw are corrected by shifting the sensor up-down and left-right. All in-body IS systems do this and work like that.

Thanks. I understood previous in-body systems to work this way, but I had wondered (from the name?) if the Olympus system actually corrected for multiple rotation axes. It seems not.

I don't think you're understanding correctly.

IBIS (even IBIS on the earlier PEN cameras prior to "5-axis") corrects rotation about all three axes. That is pitch, yaw and roll. Pitch and yaw are corrected by shifting the sensor up/down or left/right respectively. Roll is correct by turning the sensor about the optical axis (z-axis).

The additional corrections added by the 5-axis system are for camera shift up/down and left/right. These are not common. They're also not generally necessary. The only time that pure translational motion of the camera is noticeable is at very close focus distances. (i.e. At 1:1 macro, a movement of the camera of 1 mm straight up corresponds to a movement of the image projected on the sensor of 1mm that would have to be corrected by an opposing 1mm motion of the sensor. At 1:2 macro, that 1mm camera motion translates to a 0.5mm image motion.)

clengman's gear list:clengman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow