Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,075Gear list
Like?
Re: not a camera issue
In reply to RudyPohl, Apr 3, 2013

RudyPohl wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Go back and re-read that thread. It wasn't a camera issue after all.  Just as is the case with the example below.

Thanks for your detailed reply Mako, sorry if I hit a nerve and offended you, it certainly was not my intention.

I don't know what you expect from a guy like me? I've just invested $2K in a camera and lens, which may not seem like much to others, but it's a heck of a lot to me. I have 2 weeks to try out this rig to see if I can handle it and it can do what I'm looking for, but despite having given it many dozens of hours of time (I've taken 5 full days off work to do this) I'm now fresh out of time. Sorry if that annoys you, but that's the reality I'm facing.

By the way, I'm not out of patience or effort or willingness to try, which is why I am more than ready to buy the camera back if I get get the green shadows issues resolved with the software I currently own.

What I am not willing to do is keep a camera on the hopes that this problem will get resolved, especially when people like mosswings, the camera store staff, and others posting on forums say that this is in fact a problem. I'm not imagining it.

Anyways, we'll see what happens.

Rudy

Rudy, I'm really rather irritated at the stupid comment that your photo store clerks made, and I'm sorry if my glib comment only served to confuse you.  That comment was sort of a snapshot summary of the litany of "problems" - marginalia, really - that new purchasers always seem to dream up at product introductions and a backhanded acknowledgement that different sensors have different behaviors at their extremes.

If the D7100 and ALL Nikon cameras are green-spewing monsters, why in the world did those "experts" at your camera store not warn you away?  Instead, they nod their heads ruefully and tell you, almost too late for your wallet, that "all Nikons do that". You've already given evidence of other more probable reasons - monitor calibration and RAW converter differences.  Thanks to Mako for referencing Hogan's posting on the green monster. And thanks to Jonikon to pointing out that rosy pink baby cheeks exist only on babies.

The "green shadows" problem is one that has been seen ONLY in the deepest shadows (literally almost solid black) when pulled up extremely - 4 or 5 stops.  Check out Horshack's initial reportage on this . The images you've presented are nowhere near that.  What you're observing may be more of a color temperature problem.  On my monitor (calibrated PA271SV) the image of your wife is somewhat greenish. Read further, including the link referenced by Horshack.  You would learn that:

1.) this happens ONLY at low ISOs, so if you're wanting to use the camera in the 400-3200 range this shouldn't be a problem.  Of course, you're also operating at reduced DR with reduced shadow pulling capacity, but any pulling you do should be less tone-shifting.

2.) Sony sensors shift colors as well, but to the blue, and only at high ISOs.  However, blue shadows are a bit more acceptable than green ones.

All this makes for a camera, as Jim Pearce has said, is rather "edgy"; it can bite you if you push it too hard, and D5100/D7000 shooters are now conditioned to being able to push their sensors hard.

I came to Nikon from Canon film and digital P&S cameras.  One of the things I continue to work with is getting the color balance right.  I've always thought that Nikon's JPG rendering is a bit on the cool side, and several have noted that my posted shots often look a bit bluish.  Part of that is their monitor, part of that is me.  But the take-away is that it takes work to get these things right. I wish you hadn't killed that NEF, I'd give it a go in my digital darkroom.  Probably would look bluish when I got through with it 

You're running about in a panic as you discover new nuances of your camera's behavior.  You've done a heck of a lot in two weeks, you've been very game to learn, and you've learned quickly. But the bottom line is that you haven't entered into your purchase with your eyes open to the costs involved - only the potential benefits.  A DSLR is a complex tool that rewards precision and understanding; the D7100 is one of the most advanced DSLRs made, and it will take a lot longer than 2 weeks of part time effort under the penalty of significant financial risk to thoroughly understand it.

I made a suggestion a couple of days back that you might benefit in considering: accept that there will be an opportunity risk and learning cost in the acquisition of any new DSLR system. I've owned a DSLR for 6 years now and I'm still learning how to operate it well. There are many others on this forum who've spent a lot more time than me at it - the storied 10,000 hours, if you will - and they're also finding out things, but at a much subtler level. But they're definitely not finding out that the D7100 is irretrievably damaged goods.

Take a breather, line up your ducks, so to speak, and re-engage.  Find yourself a GOOD Nikon shooter to mentor you and answer your questions. It took you 15,000 shots with your Panny before you knew you were ready for something with more potential.  A good mentor will ease your transition into a much more capable system. As an experienced videographer you are probably well aware of that.

And slow down and enjoy.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow