Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,605Gear list
Like?
Crank that ISO
In reply to GreenMountainGirl, Apr 3, 2013

GreenMountainGirl wrote:

baloo_buc wrote:

There is certainly a rule:

Increase the ISO when other means of adjustment (shutter speed and aperture) could not be used anymore.

In most cases you can set the aperture as wide as possible and the shutter speed as high as needed and then increase the ISO speed.

This is what I do, but still tend to get some underexposures.  The photos are taken in early evening when the light is falling away.  For instance, took some photos at f/5.6, 1/250sec,  ISO 320 which turned out OK.  But when I raised to f/16 and 1/500sec, ISO 800 the picture was underexposed.  I think I was using shutter priority, but not sure.  Another underexposed photo was taken at f/5.3, 1/250sec, ISO 640, also probably shutter priority.

If you use Nikon you have a powerful tool in ISO Auto. You either use A mode and set the aperture while setting the shutter speed via the ISO Auto (the soft way) or use the M mode and set both the aperture and shutter speed and let ISO Auto to manage the exposure (the hard way).

My camera is a Nikon D7000 (sorry, forgot to mention that), but I have never tried the Auto ISO.  My reasoning is that I want to learn how to use the camera's functions, not let the camera do everything.  When I first started using my camera, I set it on manual all the time.

A D7000 has excellent high ISO capability. It's going to be real good up to ISO 1600 and will give you useful exposures up to 6400 or so. Lightroom 4 does a very good job on noise.

As others have noted, the metering mode is not important; the exposure is.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow