Fujifilm better than sony?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
KennyXL
Regular MemberPosts: 398Gear list
Like?
Re: Fujifilm better than sony?
In reply to SQLGuy, Apr 3, 2013

SQLGuy wrote:

You can search and find these answers in other posts on this forum.

Which one is better depends a lot on what's important to you. They are both good cameras. For my use, the NEX-7 is better.

As for the number of native, autofocus, E-mount lenses currently available, Sony has:

10-18 Zoom

16mm F2.8

20mm F2.8

16-50 Collapsible Power Zoom

18-55 Zoom

24mm F1.8Z (Sony/Zeiss lens)

30mm F3.5 Macro

35mm F1.8

50mm F1.8

18-200 (in several variants)

55-210 Zoom

That's already quite a bit more than 5, and doesn't include third party AF E-mount lenses like the Sigma 30mm 2.8 and 19mm 2.8. There are also a few more lenses scheduled to be released this year.

Your sales guy should check his facts before saying things that are so easy to prove wrong.

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

The NEX series is, however, sorely lacking a fixed-aperture standard zoom.  There is a gaping hole in its lens lineup and they could go a long way towards nullifying that "limited lens selection" argument by introduction something like their much lauded 16-50mm f2.8 Alpha lens.  I've owned the NEX 5, 5N, and currently own the 6.  The 6 will be my last NEX camera until they introduce a fixed-aperture standard zoom.  I love the camera, but it has a serious hole in its capabilities portfolio that could be easily be taken care of by Sony.  Yes, you can use the LA-EA2 adapter, but then you have the 1/3 stop loss, the additional weight (expense and inconvenience), and size.  That and you don't have OSS native on the aforementioned Alpha lens since Sony Alphas have in-body stabilization and the NEX series has in-lens solutions (assuming they have that feature).

Why did I buy it if I knew there was a limited selection of lenses?  Because Sony said they would support it with a robust line of native lenses and I believed them and still do, but they have to introduce that fixed-aperture standard zoom soon.

As for the argument that the NEX series is all about a smaller footprint and a fixed-aperture standard zoom would be too big?  Please...the 18-200mm is huge.  It is much bigger than my Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 Nikon-mount lens.  They seem to have zero philosophical problems with pushing out endless iterations of that focal range in a large body lens.

KennyXL's gear list:KennyXL's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow