A few words on Equivalence and comparing systems

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 3,238Gear list
Like?
Re: A few words on Equivalence and comparing systems
In reply to slimandy, Apr 3, 2013

slimandy wrote:

That's the problem with trying to find a match rather than using the system for what you bought it for in the first place.

I agree with that. IMO, the m43 is a great system if you accept the limitations of the available apertures in equivalent terms. My point was that if you want to get remotely close to FF (and f/4 is hardly the state of art on FF), you have to spend much much more and even carry more weight, like the 35-100/2 or the 14-35/2, another expensive monster. I would go even further to say that the m43 makes more sense to me than the APS-C - more compact.

I bought a 40~150mm lens that cost me £129. In the US it was only $100. It is light, small, sharp and gets me to 300mm equivalent. It can fit in a coat pocket. Where is the FF equivalent to that?

In case you never realised I'm not expecting an answer!

I will give one anyway. Nobody in their right mind will make or buy a 80-300/8-11.2 lens for FF regardless of the cost. But on crop, the Canon 55-250 has longer reach, faster aperture in eq. terms, about the same price and at least the same resolution. Which does not mean that it is more practical.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow