Pocket backup for my OMD EM-5

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
daveco2
Contributing MemberPosts: 507
Like?
Re: Pocket backup for my OMD EM-5
In reply to Neurad1, Apr 3, 2013

I've had the OMD plus a bunch of Oly lenses for about a year now.  And I just got an EPL-5 as a backup, for sure, but also to "permanently" carry the 7-19 mm so I won't have to change lenses.  I hate changing lenses and exposing the guts of the camera and the back end of the lenses with their contacts.  My trips are to remote places where the weather can be pretty bad, dust, wind, rain; and juggling camera bodies/lenses on the side of a mountain would be asking for trouble.  It's not even a good idea in crowded cities and villages where you don't want to be juggling delicate gear.

The EPL-5 is noticeably smaller and lighter than the OMD, and I can see that it won't be too long before the EPL-5 will become my favorite.  Sure, I'll miss the OMD viewfinder, but not that much.

Yes, the EPL-5 with Pana 20 mm is a small package; but for me it's still not jacket pocketable.  It annoyingly pulls my jackets to one side.  I prefer to carry it by the strap around my neck under the jacket.

For real pocketability, light and compact, in the evenings strolling about, I carry either an XZ-1 or Sony HX5.  The XZ has the fast lens for low light night shots, but the HX5 has the great Sony shooting modes that do very well in low light.  Too bad the IQ isn't up to par.  The problem with the XZ is that in movie mode the focus tends to hunt which for my taste destroys the video.  I would consider an XZ-2, except for the experience with the XZ-1.

For a true pocket cam, the RX100 would seem to me the best alternative - great IQ and low light shooting modes, a very nice upgrade to my positive experience with the HX5.  Too bad the lens doesn't have the reach of the HX5, but I could live with that.  I tried the RX100 at a local Best Buy and I liked the Sony interface and menus.  All ok, except for the price.  I have so much gear on my desk now that it's getting really hard to justify another $600-650.  I have until October for my next big trip and maybe the price will come down by then.  If not, then it's the HX5.  Can't keep chasing the next big thing.

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow