Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
apwhitelaw
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Why are SD cards so expensive?
Apr 3, 2013

All I have is a 16GB SD card, and right now I'm using a hacked GH2, which means that the 16GB only gets me about 20 minutes of recording. That is nothing. I'm supposed to be shooting all day for an event that is coming up, so I need a bigger card.

I looked and found a 128GB, which seemed to be the biggest out there. Then I realized it was $150. It's just ridiculous.

Oh and then I just recently saw that Lexar came out with 256GB. Great. What is it? $300? Nope, $550. Oh and that's just the price it is now. The price when it came out was $1000. Awesome.

What the hell. Is it even worth it? I mean I'm not gonna buy the 256GB, because I would never spend that much money on an SD card. If i was going to spend $500, I'm getting a new lens. But I think I might look into the 128GB. I'm just thinking the next size down is 64GB, which is only 4x bigger than mine, and thats about 1hr 20 min of recording. Which is still pretty good, but it would be awesome if I had the 128GB.

I don't know how it's gonna be at the place I'm shooting, but it'll probably turn out that 64GB is more than enough. But, if I am going to buy a new one, might as well buy a bigger one and just have that instead of having the smaller one and wishing I had more space.

I don't know, I'm just rambling. What do you guys think?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow