HX300 vs HS50 vs FZ200 w/ TC 1200mm vs 1000mm vs 1020mm?

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: There is difference in light and focus point?
In reply to kkardster, Apr 3, 2013

kkardster wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Originals are here with EXIF...the Spot Focus was used on both cams top right hand corner of largest sticker...timer and tripod...best shots selected from a group after tweaking HS50 several times to get best jpeg output...FZ200 was set at -2 Sharp...-2 Saturation...-1 NR...HS 50 was set like Joms instructions except I +2 Sharp and -2 NR to get a sharp jpeg...Spot Metering...

FZ200 set at f/4 and HS50 at f/5.6...

So it appears that the FZ200 does a better job focusing where intended - pretty important to me. 

That said, my point was that it is basically useless [and a bit deceiving] to "cherry-pick" small crops to show favor to one or the other unless you're comparing them at the focal point.  Joms has chosen three such comparison points that favor the HS50 and claimed "both have similar light and in focus" yet as we can clearly see they are not both in focus - if they were then the FZ200 would be as sharp as we see on the larger label.  I'd have a concern with the HS50 focus.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

I take it that if Cole would redo the test and make sure that the subject is clear in focus, they will have similar IQ. From the crops I have posted, HS50 yielded better result (opposite of the other crops).

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow