What is the best m43 for focus tracking?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 5,083Gear list
Like?
Re: Question should be "what is the least worst"
In reply to Cane, Apr 3, 2013

Cane wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

Cane wrote:

Where does the gh3 or OM-D rank in AF speed and tracking of ERRATIC AND QUICK moving objects when compared to all cameras on the market? Also, where does it compare using live view and not a viewfinder? Most dslr's seam to lag at this. Anyone tried a recently released dslr live view or something similar vs. m4/3? I'd think you'd start to be comparable here.

No, it is not comparable. Recently I tried Nikon D600 with 70-300 and D7000 with 55-300. Both, even with a viewfinder/PDAF, are significanly slower in S-AF compared to OM-D with Oly 40-150 (especially that 55-300 takes its time), in Live View they are simply unusable. Times (for focusing between an object approximately 30 m away to an object about 3 m away, in Costco warehouse light) are about like this:

OM-D + 40-150 - less than 1 s, probably closer to 0.5s, feels like "snap"

D600+70-300

PDAF 1.5-2s

CDAF ~5 s (hard to say, long time)

D7000+55-300

PDAF 2-3s

CDAF a lot of hunting and inconsistency, 6+ s.

I don't even think it is primarily the cameras' fault, the lenses just have heavy focusing groups and relatively (in relation to the weight of the focusing groups) weak motors. DSLR lenses would focus slow on OM-D too.

Thanks, that's interesting insight. Thanks. Would you say then that a dslr beats OM-D through the viewfinder

Not for single focus. At least not those combinations of bodies and lenses. How can 2-3 s beat 0.5s?

For tracking - obviously depends on body and lens combination, there are those DSLRs which are significantly better (mostly pro bodies with native lenses), there are those which are similar, there are few which are worse. There are some which are better if you manage to keep your subject in the center but completely fail otherwise (i.e. unusable for erratically moving subjects).

and the reverse through live view?

"Live view AF" on DSLRs (at least with those lenses I tested, but I think in general too) is unusable, even MF is faster.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow