Veteran MemberPosts: 6,772Gear list
Like?
Re: You might be asking the wrong question
In reply to captura, Apr 3, 2013

captura wrote:

temama wrote:

cptrios wrote:

captura wrote:

However, the OP's original question was, "Just how crappy is the 16-50 kit lens?"

At about than about 20mm and wider, the 16-50 is worse than the 18-55. So the correct answer is;  Very Crappy.

I didn't want to say it quite so harshly, but it's true. At the wide end it looks to be potentially worse than the 16/2.8 (at least in the OP's samples).

I dunno, the 16/2.8 is pretty soft in the corners at f2.8.  But even at f3.5, this isn't a typical aperture for a shot in in the sunny outdoors.

It seems that we have very different opinions on this lens. On the other hand - who cares? No one is forced to buy it

I really like wide end of  this zoom  - that it is there when needed.

After-all we're talking about all-around zoom lens! And its tiny size is just perfect match for little NEX cameras.

I think that something like 20-50mm would be very boring range compared to the 16-50mm.

Yeah, there's a significant difference between 16 and 20mm.

- No one is forced to buy it ?

Most people who want a NEX-6 or a NEX-3N are forced to accept it as part of the package.

I just searched for Nex-6 on Amazon, and up pops a body-only option -- no lens, 16-50 or otherwise.

Other forums scorn Sony NEX because of their disastrous policy wrt lenses. Many buyers avoid buying NEX's for the same reasons...mostly there not being enough decent quality E-mount lenses.

Well, sounds like they weren't forced to buy Sony, and bought a different brand.  That's fine if the other brand is more to their liking, but if they're just scared away due to fear-mongering about Sony lenses, then that's sad.  If other brands' lenses are that much better and that is what is important, then by all means, buy another brand.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow