joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602Gear list
Like?
Re: Just curious
In reply to schmegg, Apr 3, 2013

schmegg wrote:

joger wrote:

surprised to see YOU quoting DXOmark

Sure - DXO predominantly ranks the wide open performance and since the f/4.0 version is one stop slower it can never be on the same level according to their ranking - it is also double the weight and a bit bigger . . .

Meh - I have less problem using DxO data if the body used remains the same for each comparison - as it does in this case.

Photozone agrees - "It surpasses its predecessor easily and it did even manage to top (very slightly so) the EF 70-200mm f/4 USM L IS".

But who cares - I don't. Just surprised you'd accept second best. Seems your normal "no compromise" approach does have some limits after all!

the 70-200 f/4.0 L IS USM is the best of the slower and lighter lenses - as said before - zooms are for convenience and lean traveling (IMHO) - the 70-200 f/2.8 is a quite heavy lens for hiking and it is a bit bulky as well - the difference to a good deal better and longer range prime is not that big - thought several times about getting the 70-200 f/2.8 II but skipped it because it does not bring significant advantages and it is quite heavy.

The 70-200 f/4.0 L IS USM is the best of the slow zooms - and probably not really much worse but the other slow zooms are a good deal worse then the 70-200 f/2.8 II

(in theory a f/4.0 lens can never be as good as a f/2.8 lens - look here)

The article does not conclude the an "f/4.0 lens can never be as good as a f/2.8 lens" at all.

It actually says ...

"The sweet spot of any lens is at medium aperture values because aberrations are reduced and diffraction effects aren’t strong yet."

where does this statement differ from mine? I said in theory

Yet some really good primes perform excellent wide open and almost as good as stopped down one or two stops

I'd certainly buy it if it is also lighter then the current 70-200 II

Zooms are for lean traveling and convenience aspects - otherwise I prefer primes

Yep - me too.

seems we (almost) fully agree

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow