Senior MemberPosts: 2,422Gear list
Like?
Re: Just curious
In reply to schmegg, Apr 3, 2013

schmegg wrote:

joger wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

Wyville wrote:

Oh, nothing wrong with that! I simply doubt it would make much business sense to release a new version (at probably twice the price) of a lens that a lot of people are happy with using. It's not like the 400/5.6 where current users would be happy to upgrade to a version with IS

Actually I think the opposite could be true. The 100-400 has room for improvement in several key areas - image quality (which is good but the latest lenses are better), handling (get rid of the push-pull zoom) and current generation 4-stop IS.

yes - there is definitely room for improvement at the 100-400 - Canon has a nice set of "L" zooms to choose from but only one is currently outstanding in terms of price/quality relation - all others have headroom for improvement - either in price and/or in optical quality - an exceptional 100-400 would be a (for me) welcome addition with range

I'd have thought they all have room for improvement - both in quality and particularly price. Admittedly though, the 70-200/2.8 L IS II is very nice and the best of the tele zooms Canon offer ...

Surprised you'd settle for second best actually!

surprised to see YOU quoting DXOmark

Sure - DXO predominantly ranks the wide open performance and since the f/4.0 version is one stop slower it can never be on the same level according to their ranking - it is also double the weight and a bit bigger . . .

(in theory a f/4.0 lens can never be as good as a f/2.8 lens - look here)

That said - it would be extremely nice to see a 100-400 on the level of the current 70-200 f/2.8 II

I'd certainly buy it if it is also lighter then the current 70-200 II

Zooms are for lean traveling and convenience aspects - otherwise I prefer primes

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow