Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Senior MemberPosts: 2,909Gear list
Re: Just curious
In reply to schmegg, Apr 3, 2013

schmegg wrote:

joger wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

Wyville wrote:

Oh, nothing wrong with that! I simply doubt it would make much business sense to release a new version (at probably twice the price) of a lens that a lot of people are happy with using. It's not like the 400/5.6 where current users would be happy to upgrade to a version with IS

Actually I think the opposite could be true. The 100-400 has room for improvement in several key areas - image quality (which is good but the latest lenses are better), handling (get rid of the push-pull zoom) and current generation 4-stop IS.

yes - there is definitely room for improvement at the 100-400 - Canon has a nice set of "L" zooms to choose from but only one is currently outstanding in terms of price/quality relation - all others have headroom for improvement - either in price and/or in optical quality - an exceptional 100-400 would be a (for me) welcome addition with range

I'd have thought they all have room for improvement - both in quality and particularly price. Admittedly though, the 70-200/2.8 L IS II is very nice and the best of the tele zooms Canon offer ...

Surprised you'd settle for second best actually!

surprised to see YOU quoting DXOmark

Sure - DXO predominantly ranks the wide open performance and since the f/4.0 version is one stop slower it can never be on the same level according to their ranking - it is also double the weight and a bit bigger . . .

(in theory a f/4.0 lens can never be as good as a f/2.8 lens - look here)

That said - it would be extremely nice to see a 100-400 on the level of the current 70-200 f/2.8 II

I'd certainly buy it if it is also lighter then the current 70-200 II

Zooms are for lean traveling and convenience aspects - otherwise I prefer primes

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top
ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'
“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow