Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,587Gear list
Like?
Re: "nothing wrong"
In reply to Wyville, Apr 3, 2013

Wyville wrote:

Howard wrote:

You can certainly say that, but to think that it cannot be improved upon would be short-sighted. I love this lens, but it could use an updated AF, IS and better wide-open IQ.

Once we all thought Canon's 300 f/2.8 (and the like) were flawless, yet, the II version really exceeded the "perfection" previously perceived.

There is always room for improvement, but what I question is whether or not it is expedient to do so. It is possible to make the 100-400L the same quality as the mythical 200-400L, but at a price.

Right now, everyone who has the 100-400L loves the lens. It probably has the best price/range/performance ratio of all the lenses on offer. Are there many practical reasons to update this lens from Canon's point of view?

Rationally, I don't think a new 100-400L will be more than a longer version of the 70-300L but with the same pricetag as the new Nikkor 80-400. Is that attractive enough?

if it would be a longer version of the 70-300 L at the price tag of the Nikon pendant it is questionable how many would be sold (there is a proverb: every day a stupid guy wakes up to buy your product).

All recent Canon lenses have been significantly improved versions of their predecessors. So I guess it is a reasonable approach to say that a 100-400 would be an improved version of the current one. The current one is on a similar level as the 70-300L from 200 mm onwards. That's where it counts since people are buying these lenses for the longer reach at or near maximum aperture.

There is room for improvement and yes - this comes normally at a price but if it would get the IS and AF from the type II tele lenses it would be a stunning lens that I would surely buy sooner or later - just because 400 f/5.6 is not a really bad combination and if it would be a lightweight package and optically superb it would be a no-brainer for the days when you decide that the excellent prime you own can have a day off

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow