Just posted - our XF 14mm F2.8 R review

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,619Gear list
Like?
Re: Just posted - our XF 14mm F2.8 R review
In reply to HB1969, Apr 3, 2013

I am very enthusiastic about this lens. I also use a D800E and Nikkor 14-24mm F2.8 ED lens. This lens cost me over $2000. Its beautiful but large and heavy, can't take filters, is a bit prone to flare and it does show some field curvature.

The Fuji is 14mm, is light, has no distortion, no chromatic aberration, is AF which works just fine - I have no attention whatsoever on AF performance, infinity =infinity whereas Nikon it does not, has a manual focus lock - Nikon does not. I did side by side images on my XE1 with both the Fuji 14mm ($865) and the 14-24 ($2100). The Fuji seemed to match the Nikon and seemed to have no curvature/distortion.

When you start researching lenses you find practically nothing other than fisheyes for that focal length and that speed (F2.8).

So the Fuji then is unmatched by anything I am aware of and at a price a fraction of the full frame competitor which seems to only be the Nikon 14-24mm or the Samyang 14mm F2.8 (cheaper but a lot of moustache distortion).

Its a remarkable lens and I suppose the gold stamp at the end of the review shows that but I don't think it punched up the lack of competing lenses in its class and the cost/size/weight of the few that do match it.

Its a lightweight, inexpensive, Nikon 14-24mm lens for your Fuji Xmount camera. No other brand currently offers a truly competitive lens - it is unique.

8 image mosaic with this lens/XE1:

http://upload.pbase.com/gregbradley/image/149458947/large

Greg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow