HELP! Both Raid Drives "not readable"

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,774
Like?
Re: Big Fan of DiskWarrior.....
In reply to Joe Tam, Apr 3, 2013

Joe Tam wrote:

BTW, I asked on other forums if two RAID 1 mirrored would be readable by docking station if removed and people said yes.  The data is there (but not readable by computer) and through some miracle DR is reading it.

There could be many reasons for this. If both drives have standard partition tables and are formatted for Mac, yes, they should be visible as single drives. Just googled a bit and the fact that there is some custom utility software shipped with the unit makes me suspicious. Maybe there is something non-standard about how these drives are partitioned?

Anyway, most reviews I saw was pretty negative to the unit itself. If I were you I would ditch the case and put these two drives in separate enclosures  and either use them in a rotating fashion where one drive is always off-site or use one drive as a primary local backup and the other as a cloned copy and have a software like CCC or Chronosync to keep the two drives in sync. That can happen every hour or so. A raid 1 is only protecting against hardware failure and so does this setup  but it's more flexible and has other advantages as well. Lots of software packages available for this type of backup.

DW is well worth it's money. Don't worry. I have never seen it fail on regular Mac Formatted drives. I also own DR3. It works differently and they complement each other. I think DR3 is capable of reading more types of filesystems than DW. I've used DR3 to recover CF cards something that DW definitely doesn't do.

What does the Disk Utility show when you mount one of these drives? I'm curious about things like file system, partition table and partition type.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow