New 100-400 in a few months?

Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,701Gear list
Like?
Re: "nothing wrong"
In reply to Howard, Apr 3, 2013

Howard wrote:

You can certainly say that, but to think that it cannot be improved upon would be short-sighted. I love this lens, but it could use an updated AF, IS and better wide-open IQ.

Once we all thought Canon's 300 f/2.8 (and the like) were flawless, yet, the II version really exceeded the "perfection" previously perceived.

There is always room for improvement, but what I question is whether or not it is expedient to do so. It is possible to make the 100-400L the same quality as the mythical 200-400L, but at a price.

Right now, everyone who has the 100-400L loves the lens. It probably has the best price/range/performance ratio of all the lenses on offer. Are there many practical reasons to update this lens from Canon's point of view?

Rationally, I don't think a new 100-400L will be more than a longer version of the 70-300L but with the same pricetag as the new Nikkor 80-400. Is that attractive enough?

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow