D7100 heads to the zoo! (15 images included)

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
daroga
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
D7100 heads to the zoo! (15 images included)
Apr 3, 2013

Our family and a couple of others went to the San Francisco zoo today. It was a day completely socked in with clouds, which meant no harsh light, but it was hard to capture (or even see) real vibrancy in things.

Overall, I was impressed with how the camera handled. I used this as a test of different JPG picture control settings. I tested out the idea that "Vibrant" is the way to go and was not very happy with that. Thankfully I shot RAW + JPG so I used the RAW files in View NX and set most of them back to Standard and adjusted some sharpness here and there. Vibrant really takes the subtle details about of most things (some of the brighter colors almost looked solid rather than having the texture of a feather, or a jacket, etc.)

Aside from the brand new 70-300 VR's ability to autofocus completely dying, it was a fun trip that produced some nice pictures, a sample of which are below. The camera handled people well, but most of the people pictures include people not in our family, so I'm not going to upload those.

Let me know any thoughts, comments, or questions! Lenses used were the aforementioned Nikon 70-300 VR and the Nikon 18-70.

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow