Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048Gear list
Like?
Spot metering snow scenes
Apr 3, 2013

As a newbie, I started shooting RAW 6 months ago and learned to ETTR using spot metering and the histogram in the EVF.   Now, when out-of-doors I spot meter ETTR almost exclusively as I find that I can load the sensor very quickly and reliably that way.  I think about getting a good "highlight" exposure for a HDR bracket and shoot accordingly. I review (chimp) all of my shots using the RGBY histogram and find that I rarely have to re-expose (or shoot any bracket shots to further expose the darks.)

I process and post-process in LR4.3.  I only shoot hand-held when out and about. (Too old, frail, and impatient to carry a tripod around in the snow.  Also too cold to set one up!!!)

My purpose in posting these few pix is to seek your guidance.   Am I heading in the right direction?   Is there any value in using centre-weighted or matrix metering?

Snow texture with sparkles

Shadows on Byng Inlet house

Boats on Harris Lake beach

Negligee effect on Harris Lake Road

Tamaracks late afternoon at Mag IR

As is probably painfully obvious, I am new to this hobby.  So the above are posted as examples of my current technique hoping that you'll give me some instruction.

Thank you,

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow