Started Mar 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Just curious
In reply to Steve Balcombe, Apr 3, 2013

Steve Balcombe wrote:

Actually I think the opposite could be true. The 100-400 has room for improvement in several key areas - image quality (which is good but the latest lenses are better), handling (get rid of the push-pull zoom) and current generation 4-stop IS.

Whereas the 400/5.6 has features which make it perfect for a small group of people, mainly BIF shooters of course, who want a lightweight lens with no IS. I'm not sure the 400/5.6 could be improved without taking away its unique appeal.

I didn't mean that it can't be improved at all, but rather if it can be improved to, for consumers, warrant a pricetag almost double that of the current lens.

Say the 100-400L becomes a twist-zoom lens and gets the image quality and IS of the 70-300L. That would make it a great lens. Would I trade in my current 100-400L paying an extra €1,200-1,500? No. Not worth it for me. Would I buy one if I didn't have my 100-400L? Yes.

For BiF. If I had the current 400/5.6L and Canon came out with a 400/5.6L IS for double the price, would I trade in? Yes. IS can be turned off, but it can't be turned on when it's not there.

For me, and that's entirely personal, I see more sense in Canon updating the 400/5.6L that the 100-400L because there are practical improvements to be gained that make the 400/5.6L more versatile. But I would even be tempted to trade in my 100-400L for a new 400 prime and later buy the 70-300L for a zoom.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow