Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,500
Like?
Re: A few words on Equivalence and comparing systems
In reply to Sean Nelson, Apr 3, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

richarddd wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

I'd be choosing M43 because I deem it "good enough" for the kinds of pictures I take and the uses to which I put them.   In other words, I'd be accepting the fact that I'd have a smaller envelope of shooting conditions under which I can get the kind of shots I want.

Taking pictures from the same position under the same conditions with a 12/2.8 m43 and 24/2.8 FF will produce different DOFs and, assuming similarly efficient sensors, different amounts of noise.  For many, that would mean the lenses are not equivalent.  Are DOF and noise unimportant picture characteristics for you?

DOF is one of the characteristics of the envelope I described.   Yes, when I choose a camera with a smaller sensor and associated lenses of similar speed (f/ratio), I sacrifice DOF flexibility.  If I'm willing to accept that compromise, then I've narrowed my shooting envelope.   If I'm shooting pictures within that envelope, the fact that I could achieve smaller DOF with a larger-sensored camera (and associated lens) is irrelevant to me.

My worldview is to understand that the camera/lens choice reduces the envelope.   Therefore if I'm happy to live within the smaller envelope then "equivalence" arguments are really pointless.   I really don't care if a particular lens is inferior to it's FF "equivalent" because I've decided I'm quite happy living with the limitations of the smaller format and its lenses.

It's kind of like arguing that a semitrailer can haul more stuff than a pickup truck and can move X tons of freight more economically.   Most pickup truck owners know this when they buy their vehicles and they would get really annoyed if semi drivers keep constantly pointing it out to them.

But then you wouldn't say, for example, that 12/2.8 on mFT is equivalent to 24/2.8 on FF.  If AOV is all that matters because whatever DOF/noise differences exist between mFT and FF are within your envelope, you'd say instead that 12mm on mFT is equivalent to 24mm on FF, and leave f/2.8 out of it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow