What is the best m43 for focus tracking?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,552Gear list
Like?
Re: Another true believer
In reply to PerL, Apr 3, 2013

PerL wrote:

Anders W wrote:

PerL wrote:

richarddd wrote:

PerL wrote:

Is it a mistake to trust experiences and opinions and reviews more than a simulated test, where the simulation seems to go against all user reports?

An example from another field. Try testing people's ability to distinguish high bit rate audio from low bit rate audio, for example, 320kbps mp3 compared to 160k.  Everyone I know can easily tell which is which when they know which is which. Approximately no one (beyond random chance) can tell which is which in a double blind test.

People who don't like to believe they can't distinguish usually complain in the terms you use.

Of course, it's not always easy to create a well designed test, but the objection should point out why the test is not well designed. Saying it can't be a proper test because it doesn't correspond to general experience is not a good objection.

I guess you also believe that you can buy a GF5 and get the same AF-C performance as a Nikon D4. I just feel sorry for those people who actually base purchase decisions on what they read here.

This is a forum for the true believers, I realize that now.

I would hope that anyone that does read this conversation reads that no one is saying that the g5 is as good at tracking focus as a D4, and that it is definitely not as good a system as a high end Nikon or Canon for shooting sports.

On the contrary, the forum seems to be invaded by "true believers" from outside. What Richard pointed out was exactly what distinguishes "true believers" from those ready to evaluate new evidence not on the basis of whether it matches some preconceived notion of the truth but on the basis of the quality of the evidence itself.

What is the quality of the evidence? Just because there are numbers and graphs?

Per, the point here is that a true believer cannot be swayed and does not have an open mind.  You seem to have it in your head that all of us are trying to convince people that mft is better at af tracking than a high end slr, but actually Anders points to a test where they found that mft are comparable in one area, an object coming straight towards you.  That shouldn't be so unbelievable as it is something that pdaf does not find easy (look up Canon 1D mk 3 focus issues) then also look at the fact that the high end slrs are shooting at a higher frame rate and so have less time to focus between frames and all of a sudden you start to see things that could explain the results if mft is still improving (having been a user of the system since the G1, it was only the OMD that convinced me to sell my SLR gear, so I think its improving).

You keep misreading that as G5 is better for sports (even after Anders categorically disagreed with that) and its the constant correction and reframing of the same argument that I think is confusing for people.

P.S. Apologies for any typos, this is on my mobile phone and the cursor keeps jumping

-- hide signature --
 JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow