Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
Re: Well, maybe. But ...
In reply to Fat Dragon, Apr 3, 2013

Fat Dragon wrote:

Najinsky wrote:

No, not at all, it wasn't directed at you personally. The target group was given in the text 'users who haven't used both PCs and Macs earnestly'. What I mostly mean is people who haven't owned OS X based Macs and tried to use them to be productive in their creative content environment (photography, videography, music production, design, etc) or even general purpose computing environment (mail, music, photos, video, office, browsing, hobby, etc).

I agree that those who haven't used both systems earnestly have no business discussing the superiority of one over the other. Ownership is a bit of a high bar for "earnest" use, considering that many people may try a system earnestly or even use it daily at work but not commit to buying.

There is a learning curve to productivity. If you don't commit to the machine, you won't commit to the learning curve and you won't get (many of) the productivity benefits that follow. People who are forced to use a machine at work, using machines that configured and controlled by their IT department, running business support apps, can't really comment about their personal productivity. For this, it needs to be a machine they control and use for personal satisfaction. This obviously extends to small creative occupations like photography, movie making, music making, etc, where their business is also their personal passion.

It may be a high bar, but without it, most of the points made fall into the nonsense or pointless category, as evidenced in by a huge number of posts in Mac V PC 'debates'.

That argument has to cut both ways, too - a Mac user who's been out of PC's since before Windows 7 launched can't really make a legitimate judgement on Windows PC's today, since the system has changed significantly and the quality of the average machine has also improved.

Not feasible. If someone used PCs for 15 years, then switched to Mac for the 5-8 years, they are 5-8 years out of the windows scene. They may still use them at work, but this says nothing to personal productivity (as noted above). Unfortunately, if their work gets disrupted by computer problems, it is going to continue to re-enforce their view and make it seem current.

If someone posts a question about switching from PCs to Macs in the Mac forum, responders can only give their reasons as were current for them. The problem is those views get attacked from multiple angles, when all they were trying to do was help the OP based on their actual and truthful experience.

I definitely fit into the category of those who have not given OSX or Macs an earnest shot at replacing my PCs.

Yet here you are... (meant only in fun)

For that reason, I restrict my judgement to the financial end - I get way more for my money by purchasing Windows PCs from companies that compete with one another in design and pricing, or from building my own computer (in the case of a desktop), as opposed to buying a Mac, so I recommend and personally purchase PCs exclusively.

That's your choice. I know a number of people who only ever travel on budget airlines because their only interest is in getting from A to B cheaply. While others travel business class because they feel it is important to arrive at their destination relaxed and focussed on doing their job. I've done both for a long time and respect both views.

One area I find that technically proficient people sometimes lack in, is an understanding of just how many people are not technically proficient, technophobic in fact. And technophobic describes many of my friends who run their own business. They are not stupid people.

I often got asked to help sort out their PCs. A common problem is at startup, they get tons of messages saying trial periods have expired. They have no clue about what these are or why they show up. So the first thing I do is figure out how to delete or disable or this trial-ware carp that came with their PC. When I delete it, they are amazed I can just delete it. I then have to carefully explain why I can delete it. I learned from experience I had to do this, because otherwise some people get delete-happy and the next phone call is 'help - my computer stopped working'.

I also like the emotional arguments about the cult of Apple, but that's not an ownership issue either

The second point is that Macs and OSX are more meticulously designed through multiple levels of abstraction and from multiple contexts. Many users struggle to put it all into specifics, but they do latch on to how they combine to create a richer experience and will express it as; it just works; I get more done; It's more enjoyable to use, and so on. But then they get shouted at by PC users who just can't see why and demand specifics.

Ah, the classic "if you have to ask why, you wouldn't understand". Love it.

That's what the vacation analogy was for. Small details can make big differences, but there are literally thousands of small details, and finding the combination that would suit or appeal to you, is just guesswork.

-Najinsky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow