Does anyone shoot action with a Sony SLT?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,347Gear list
Like?
At 10 fps (A55)
In reply to Christopher0us, Apr 3, 2013

Christopher0us wrote:

I'm a Nikon shooter currently thrilled with my D800. It suits what I like to shoot very, very well for the most part.

I've also always been a sports fan, and enjoyed shooting sports. After a couple of weekends at Grand Prixs (F1, Indycar, Grand-Am are all regular events) I've become curious about what a faster frame-rate might get me if it can be done on the cheap, as it's not a big thing for me right now. The current sale on the Sony a57 is tempting.

But I've never used an SLT, and DPR's review makes it sound like anything faster than 3fps (8, 10 , 12 fps) when the EVF goes to the slideshow view makes shooting moving action impossible.

So, does anyone have any experience that either supports or undermines that impression?

thanks!

Here is one of my first attempt from a while ago (12-frames, at 10 fps, some frames deleted as some were shooting with flash, polluting the scene), all with Sony A55 and Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM (at 50mm)... indoor rodeo wasn't planned or else I would have included a faster/longer lens:

Normally, I shoot in burst mode but keep only a few key ones. For example, this was also a sequence, but kept only a couple of these:

More recently, I captured a 14-shot sequence of a Bouquet Toss at a wedding, from toss, to catch to shattering of the bouquet (rather funny captures).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
F1?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow