Does anyone shoot action with a Sony SLT?

Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ChefAlex
Contributing MemberPosts: 606Gear list
Like?
Re: Does anyone shoot action with a Sony SLT?
In reply to Christopher0us, Apr 3, 2013

Christopher0us wrote:

I'm a Nikon shooter currently thrilled with my D800. It suits what I like to shoot very, very well for the most part.

I've also always been a sports fan, and enjoyed shooting sports. After a couple of weekends at Grand Prixs (F1, Indycar, Grand-Am are all regular events) I've become curious about what a faster frame-rate might get me if it can be done on the cheap, as it's not a big thing for me right now. The current sale on the Sony a57 is tempting.

But I've never used an SLT, and DPR's review makes it sound like anything faster than 3fps (8, 10 , 12 fps) when the EVF goes to the slideshow view makes shooting moving action impossible.

So, does anyone have any experience that either supports or undermines that impression?

thanks!

I believe that most people have issue with high frame rates on the alpha series such as the a77 is when they have auto review on.  I personally have it off so I don't see too much of a change compared to when I was shooting with the Canon 7D.

OVF users say you can't track well with the EVF because of the slide show or because of "lag" but think about this, when shooting with OVF, you still get a blackout when the mirror flips up. You don't have any issues with that, right?

I'm sure you will find it suitable for your needs. If you still have doubts, rent it for a couple of days and come up with your own judgement.

Just my 2 cents

ChefAlex's gear list:ChefAlex's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
F1?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow