Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
Re: Pocket backup for my OMD EM-5
In reply to Neurad1, Apr 3, 2013

Neurad1 wrote:

alabaster wrote:

I've gotta ask one question: Why do you need a backup camera if this is just for travel. How likely is it that the EM5 will break down? Why not just buy a new camera if and when the EM5 fails. If you were travelling in the antarctic I could understand that there are no camera shops. Otherwise, just buy one when it happens - like they say in the clasics: "It may never happen".

-- hide signature --

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I want a second, pocketable camera to bring along for two reasons:

1. To use unobtrusively indoors (pub, musical venues) without flash. The camera therefore must have great low light capability (fast lens, great IQ at high ISO). I do not consider the OMD to fit the bill here because of its size.

2. To serve as a backup in the event the anything happens to my OMD. Should that happen,  I will be using the "backup" for all shooting for the remainder of the trip, both outdoors and indoors. I want the IQ to be good enough that this won't be a disaster.

And to your last point, My OMD sensor died in the middle of my last vacation in Key West. See video below.

http://youtu.be/mN70GxlJ_w0

Those purple lines in the LCD on the video showed up in the image files. It's fixed now, but I don't want to be in the same boat again.

For me it would be a Fuj, x10, x100 or the newer x20, x100s there just so much fun to use.

I often carry my x10 along side my GF2 + 14mm when I don`t feel like taking my OMD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw_H-fH-Fuo

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow