Pocket backup for my OMD EM-5

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Neurad1 OP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,456Gear list
Re: Pocket backup for my OMD EM-5
In reply to alabaster, Apr 3, 2013

alabaster wrote:

I've gotta ask one question: Why do you need a backup camera if this is just for travel. How likely is it that the EM5 will break down? Why not just buy a new camera if and when the EM5 fails. If you were travelling in the antarctic I could understand that there are no camera shops. Otherwise, just buy one when it happens - like they say in the clasics: "It may never happen".

-- hide signature --

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I want a second, pocketable camera to bring along for two reasons:

1. To use unobtrusively indoors (pub, musical venues) without flash. The camera therefore must have great low light capability (fast lens, great IQ at high ISO). I do not consider the OMD to fit the bill here because of its size.

2. To serve as a backup in the event the anything happens to my OMD. Should that happen,  I will be using the "backup" for all shooting for the remainder of the trip, both outdoors and indoors. I want the IQ to be good enough that this won't be a disaster.

And to your last point, My OMD sensor died in the middle of my last vacation in Key West. See video below.

Those purple lines in the LCD on the video showed up in the image files. It's fixed now, but I don't want to be in the same boat again.

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow