Negative Spin Doctor
In reply to primeshooter, Apr 3, 2013

primeshooter wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

I'm not crazy.

(Maybe a little.)

I had my D800 at the office today because my friend claimed his Sigma 50mm 1.4 was not focusing on his D5100. I did some lens swapping, corrected some dirty contacts and all was well.

Then I grabbed a few quick shots with the D800 and the Nikon 50mm 1.8G wide open, targeted the eye and WHAMO half of the shots were front/back focused. This was under a mix of office/fluorescent lights. Of course this is the sort of issue many have reported, especially at 1.4 or 1.8.

Then I logged into these forums and spotted the FW update. I had no expectation for an improvement, but I updated the camera anyway.

Under the exact same lighting I shot again and WHAMO, focus was NAILED every time. I'm going to do more tests, but I really tried to get the AF to miss and it did not.

I'm CAUTIOUSLY optimistic! The 85mm 1.4 and 1.8 will be tried next...two lenses that really gave me fits on this camera. I'll report back.

Robert

Interesting on Nikon's own site they only mention improvements to AF-C. Why do they have to lie? Why not just say both are improved?

I can't imagine how you could improve ONLY AF-C since they both operate the same way.

I'm going to test more lenses under weak window light/tungsten in an hour. That lighting made the AF on the D800 very dodgy. 50-60% hit rate was the best I could hope for using eyes as a target.

We'll see what we see.

Robert

I'm not saying it's possible, I just mean, why aren't they honest? They've admitted AF-C was updated.

Someone reports good news about an AF improvement, and all you care about is what the change list says? You really had to look hard to something negative to harp on. I would think—with all the problems you had—that you would be overjoyed with this news. Instead you are obsessing over what was left out of the change list. Wow.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow