Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
Fat Dragon
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
Re: For power users, the Mac really does win. Here's why.
In reply to gaussian blur, Apr 3, 2013

gaussian blur wrote:

Fat Dragon wrote:

Many times, Apple will replace a machine that has multiple failures with a brand new one, one that's newer than what they had before. In other words, a free upgrade for getting a lemon.

Yes. So will any other manufacturer of computers.

No they don't.

It happens regularly with PC manufacturers. Once the model is out of stock, it's cheaper for replacements to be made with newer models, which is the same reason Apple replaces machines with newer models.

Usually they replace it with the same model, if they do at all, and after a lot of hassle. I've never heard of people getting upgraded for their troubles, and it certainly won't happen with a home-built PC, which you were saying was the way to go.

Components usually come with much more generous standard warranties than systems, and if they go bad within the warranty period but after a couple part generations have passed, there's a good chance the replacement will be current-generation, for the same reason that system manufacturers often send newer replacements - the item being replaced is no longer stocked so they replace it with the newer equivalent.

A few years ago I bought an Airport Express off of eBay that flaked, and when I took it to an Apple Store, they swapped it for a new one on the spot, without any receipt. They just looked up the serial number and saw it had AppleCare (from the previous owner) and grabbed a brand new one off the shelf and handed it to me. I was not expecting that at all.

Warranties for electronics are tied to the serial number - the actual product - regardless of who owns them. If you bought a used HP laptop under warranty, you would have been able to get whatever warranty service or replacement options they offered, just the same as any other manufacturer.

I've also heard of people getting Mac and iPhone/iPad repairs for no charge when out of warranty or obvious user damage (i.e., dropping an iPhone). That's not always going to happen, but it happens enough that it's a distinct possibility.

For every story like this I've heard, I've heard two stories of Apple quoting repair prices for out-of-warranty MacBooks that are higher than what the machine cost brand new. They may treat some people right, but they happily screw others. If you don't live near an Apple Store (the vast majority of the world's population doesn't), service options get sketchy and expensive fast. Maybe this isn't true in the US, but about 96% of the world's population lives outside the US, so that doesn't count for much.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow