Started Apr 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mgn2
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
New NEX-6 user needs first prime - SEL3518 or Sigma 30mm or legacy prime
Apr 3, 2013

I just got my NEX-6 with the kit lens (16-50) a day ago and so far love it. I don't think I will miss my Nikon SLR gear (D40+18-55mm kit lens+35mm 1.8G prime+55-200mm zoom) going forward. I have a Fujifilm X100 which I think is the dog's bollocks and so I'm covered at 23mm with a fast prime.

I want to start building (slowly) a setup with the NEX-6 eventually ending up with 3 more lenses - a wide/UWA zoom/prime, a fast 'normal' 35mm-ish prime and a longer zoom. The very reason I wanted to switch from SLR to the NEX was size and form factor and it doesn't hurt that you can get professional quality IQ (IMHO) with the NEX. So I would like to keep everything as small as possible and would like add a fast normal 35mm prime first.

I am not a pixel peeper, I shoot jpeg only (might experiment with RAW, HDR, etc. but only seldom), and I am not looking for the absolute sharpest lens - just something that is fast, small and renders beautiful colors with decent sharpness just like the lens on my Fujifilm X100.

What should I get -

the SEL 3518 (con is that as it is expensive) or

Sigma 30mm (con is that it is not too fast) or

a legacy prime with an adapter (con is that it may not be small with an adapter and mild inconvenience of focus and aperture control)?

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow