A few words on Equivalence and comparing systems

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,272
Like?
Re: A few words on Equivalence and comparing systems
In reply to Macx, Apr 3, 2013

Macx wrote:

Two systems using lenses that each provide the same angle of view and with the same physical size of the aperture are equivalent.

The reason this topic is the source of so much debate is that "equivalent" means different things to each of us, because we all come to the table with different goals and priorities.

If I were to buy into the M43 system, it would be in the full knowledge of the limitations that come with the reduced sensor size.   I'd be choosing M43 because I deem it "good enough" for the kinds of pictures I take and the uses to which I put them.   In other words, I'd be accepting the fact that I'd have a smaller envelope of shooting conditions under which I can get the kind of shots I want.

Given that fact, as long as I'm shooting pictures within that envelope, a 12-35mm f/2.8 lens on an M43 camera will let me do the same things as a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens on a full frame camera.  In that sense, for my needs I'd consider the two lenses to be "equivalent".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow