D800 Firmware Update Focus Improvement!

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Firmware Update Focus Improvement!
In reply to primeshooter, Apr 3, 2013

Omitting information is not the same as "lying". If true, what Nikon has done is no different from most electronics manufacturers. For instance, being a long-time owner of Apple products I am regularly treated to firmware updates for all of my devices. Apple highlights general improvements with each new firmware release (don't confuse firmware with operating system - different thing). Apple regularly addressed issues via firmware updates but never mentioned all of the issues those updates fixed.

If you read Nikon's firmware update page, they state that AF-C tracking performance has been improved. It's possible that whatever they did to improve AF-C tracking performance also had a positive effect in AF-S mode. Very often these companies make internal decisions on which improvements to highlight and which not to talk about at all due to liability and lawsuit issues. I can only guess, since the update came out today and it's still too early to tell whether this is an improvement across-the-board.

There have been changes to how white balance is adjusted as well, so a combination of these improvements may have had a positive, albeit unintended, affect on AF-S performance. Again, just hypothesizing in the absence of definitive facts at this point.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow