What is the best m43 for focus tracking?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?
Re: what is the best m43 for focus tracking? / No, but.
In reply to micksh6, Apr 2, 2013

micksh6 wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

I say two cameras, the OMD and the GH3.

Only two? You haven't tried another two, Olympus E-PL5 and E-PM2, have you?

No.

But I know that all recent Micro 4/3 cameras are better doing AF tracking. And they will improve.

I have E-PL5 and I compared it with OM-D. They are almost the same except that E-PL5 got smaller AF rectangle than OM-D. With 14x elongated AF rectangle E-PL5 and E-M5 have about the same focusing speed, but with the smallest square rectangle E-PL5 is faster. E-M5 doesn't have that small AF area.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51100254

I didn't test focus tracking, that was S-AF test. But, with CDAF it's a given that if camera is faster with S-AF it will be faster in C-AF and AF tracking too.

I like better the GH3 but both are good.

It's not "both", it's 4 cameras now, two of them are better than one of the two you tried. I can't say a thing about GH3, though.

We can not still compare to the best DSLR's regarding the  AFT. But I had already seen some good sports pictures from Micro 4/3 cameras.

This is true. And the quality of the pictures we see mostly depends on photographer skills, the camera AF tracking ability importance is a distant second (and it's essential to distinguish just C-AF vs C-AF with tracking), sometimes C-AF is used, sometimes it's not. I haven't seen many examples of successful tracking. There are good C-AF examples without tracking, though.

True, the photographer skills are important, I have got many good pictures with manual focus film cameras.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow