Missing the 70-200 f2.8 (warning, long post)

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,704Gear list
Like?
Re: Missing the 70-200 f2.8 (warning, long post)
In reply to karl722, Apr 2, 2013

karl722 wrote:

I bought a refurb NEX-3 a few years ago and fell in love with it.  I bought the NEX-6 when it came out and love it even more.  I've been slowly selling off my Canon DSLR gear.

I have the SEL55210 and have been really enjoying it.  It's a really good lens, especially for the money.  But there are many situations where I want the f2.8.  I still have my Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS.  So, I've been considering a few options:

-Buying an electronic (including AF) Canon EF to E-mount adaptor.

• Disadvantage: slow AF, may be hard to use huge lens on a mirrorless body, especially switching between focus ring and zoom ring (I'm assuming I'll want to manually focus much of the time).
  • Advantage: This may be a good kit to "tide me over" until a possible similar native E-mount lens comes out (which may never happen).  This would also allow me to use my 17-55 f2.8, which may be interesting?
  • Cost: $225

-Selling the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS for about $1300 and buying an LA-EA2 + Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS.

• Disadvantage: I think this gear would hold is value less well than the Canon gear, which may be a disadvantage if I need to sell it if a similar E-mount lens were ever made.  It also would be big on a mirrorless body, but since it would have good autofocus and I won't have to move my hands between zoom/focus rings as much, this may be less of an issue.  The reviews of the Sigma lens are less positive about its sharpness, which concerns me.  Lastly, I really like IS/OS/VR, but there are relatively few stabilized lenses for the A-mount (which makes the LA-EA2 less useful to me)
  • Advantage: great autofocus
  • Cost: around $225

-Selling the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS and buying an a37 or a57 + the Tamron 70-200 f2.8

• Disadvantage: potentially slowish/noisy AF.  Gear may not hold its value as well.  Carrying a second body some of the time?
  • Advantage: (sensor) Stabilized, plus other lenses I get for it would be stabilized.  Sharpness of this lens seems pretty good.  A bigger body should make it easier to handle a bigger lens.
  • Cost: Negative, would actually get to keep around $250 from the deal.

Related questions/notes:

• I have experimented with FD telephoto primes.  The IQ can vary wildly but is never great (sharpness/color/contrast) when wide open.  I just think I need a more modern lens.
  • Will anyone ever make an E-mount 70-200 f2.8?  It seems clear that Sony never will.  I thought had read that short-flange-distance-makes-for-smaller-lenses advantage applies less for telephoto lenses.  If this is true, then we may never see such a beast.
  • Can anyone comment more on the usability of such huge lenses on an NEX body?  I've seen a few comments here and there, but would like to hear more.
  • The Metabones speedbooster looks very interesting, of course.  But the vignetting on telephoto lenses concerns me, and I just don't see spending $600 on this.

So, thoughts?  Anything I'm missing?  Sorry for the long post!

Canon FD "L" tele lenses, plenty of contrast and sharp as a tack all wide open. With the tele lenses anyway. Might sound snobbish, but the Fluorite element in the "L" lenses makes a massive difference. Mind you, you pay for it as well, same as any top lenses.

Non "L" and its a different ball game with FD lenses. Told you it sounds snobbish As good as any new tele lenses out there optically.

Canon never made a decent FD 200, 400 or 600mm, none with Fluorite and they would tend to suffer from CA. They did make decent 300, 500 and 800. Problem is, now days you have to pay high prices for them and IMO, they are worth it if you are serious about it.

Zooms are just not me although I do have a Canon 100-300 F/5.6L which shows no CA at all wide open and is pretty sharp. Problem is, its F/5.6. So I use that for macro with the Raynox only.

All the best Karl and FD "L" tele lenses is all I use.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow