Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 440Gear list
Like?
Re: Another vote for LX7
In reply to sigala1, Apr 2, 2013

sigala1 wrote:

Neurad1 wrote:

I am traveling to Ireland soon and would like to have an unobstrusive pocketable camera to use indoors (or outdoors when appropriate/necessary). I want it have IQ sufficient that if (God forbid) something happened to the Oly I would still come home with good pictures. I have a Canon S95 that is good, but perhaps not worthy of the role I describe above. I can't afford a Sony RX1 (and it's not pocketable, at least in my pants). So.....

I'm looking for opinions about the best pocketable camera to be the Robin to my OMD Batman. I have posted in this forum because I really am interested in what other M43 users would consider a worthy companion/backup in this category. If you all agree with my wife that: "I don't NEED a new camera, just bring the dang S95" then vote for that. Thanks for indulging me.

I'm considering:

Sony RX1

Nikon Coolpix A

?Others

LX7 is the best compact camera I ever used. Very good lens, very good DR for a small-sensor camera. Images are very close to m43 quality, plus it's a very easy camera to use, lots of physical controls, love the "step zoom" feature, manual focus that clearly shows you the DOF and hyperfocal sitance, image-stablization that just works unlike finnicky m43 IS, completely silent shutter.

The only negative is that the lens is more easily subject to flare and ghosting than some other lenses, but that's only an issue in a minority of photos.

Totally agree that up to 400 iso with Leica lens the LX5 (I have this one for over a year plus I have a Pen) and LX7 are close to m43 quality. The fast lens with variable zoom, gives a 1 to 2 stop advantage over the Pen m43 kit zoom lens, so you do not need to go past 400 iso much unless very low light, and so very low noise in most photos without need of flash most times, in moderate light and indoors.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-M1 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow