Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
SirLataxe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349
Like?
Re: Mike
In reply to Mikedigi, Apr 2, 2013

Mikedigi wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

Here's how I dock the controls into functional groups . . . . .

Thank you Sherm.

That looks like fairly dense jungle, I can feel the heat already!  

Re my question to Sir:

". . . . Or would I need to spend a few months (I am short of months) wading through the SP 5 Pro Bible, translating from the Greek as I go along? . . . . "

the answer is probably "Yes", if I were aiming at anything like the SirLaTaxe degree of perfection and image customization.

But I could probably get away with either

1)  Running the SP Pro 5 Defaults, and tidying elsewhere afterwards.

and/or:

2)  Running the Defaults except for NR and Sharpness, where I could use the adjustments favoured by you and Sir,

. . . always bearing in mind that most of my stuff would still be SOOC JPEGs, some with minor tweaks, with SP Pro 5 as the occasional rescue helicopter.

Mike

SirFinger,

Given that the FZ200 jpegs are rather good when one gets the camera settings right (and when no severe underexposure is required to avoid blown highlights) then your prefered strategy of using camera jpegs as your default is likely to give you the images you want a lot of the time.

This is especially the case if you don't need to make them sharper or apply fusspot tone & colour tweaks, like we obsessives with our pixel-peeping big monitors. 

If you use RAW + jpeg, you can always use RAW development via Silkypix to sort out those images that did need a lot of underexposure or are otherwise in need of a significant tone/WB/colour fix that would risk jpeg degradation if the camera jpeg were tweaked hard.

You can use Silkypix built-in defaults (which do give a reasonable image) and apply more sharpening or whatever elsewhere.  Or you could derive one or more overall tastes of your own then make one of them the new Silkypix default, which it will automatically apply when you load the images.

These "tastes" can be global (covering all the sliders in all the dialogues) or just partial.  The partial tastes alter only those slider values that you nominate and the others remain at Silkypix built-in default values.

But Silky controls aren't that hard to learn - especially if you confine yourself to the basics.  "Basics" might be the main sliders in the NR/sharpening dialogue, the exposure & HDR sliders at the top of the main dialogue and (maybe) the saturation slider in the colour dialogue.  You could go mad and use the tone controls too - particularly the "black" slider, which imparts an increasing clarity to murky images.

You can also quickly try out the many built-in Silky "tastes" of various colour balances, white balances and tone curves by poking-out their drop-down "taste" menus then hovering your mouse over one at a time of the revealed tastes to see how Silky would render the image if you chose to acually click on that taste.  That is a very handy feature, hover-over-to-see-effect.

BTW, there are a number of additional free "taste" files on the Silkypix website for making various kinds of monotone and duotone images - very nice, some of them.

Once you become familiar with the basic Silkypix controls, it becomes very easy to try out one or two of the others.  For example, there is a good dialogue for cropping in various ways; another for applying perspective corrections.  And more. Before you know it, you will be Silkypixing away like mad and posting your taste recipes in the forum, instead of those camera jpeg engine settings!

SirLataxe, always happy to see a new cook strap on the apron and sharpen up the knives. (Perhaps you will invent the best chocolate gravy ever).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow