Has the X20 met or failed your expectations?

Started Mar 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,668
Like?
Re: People will make up their own minds
In reply to Nukunukoo, Apr 2, 2013

Nukunukoo wrote:

2eyesee wrote:

Nukunukoo wrote:

2eyesee wrote:

xchert wrote:

BingoCharlie wrote:

The watercolor thing appears to be very real in JPEG.  A pity for those who wanted to get Fuji colors OOC.  Raws look beautiful.

The watercolor problem could be fixed through firmware, but will Fuji do it?

Turn the NR down to -2 and the watercolor effect is gone.  Easy fix.  I'm sure Fuji will eventually address this in firmware as well.

It would be nice if it were that simple, but if you read through the following thread it links to images that most agree show unpleasant noise at ISO 400, and the original photographer on the forum states that he used NR -2 on those shots:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3389081

I'd be grateful if you could post some full resolution examples of the default NR showing the watercolour effect compared to NR -2.

Took this through our host's window and I hope this could help. Good thing I brought a tripod with me and the scene was relatively static and varied for comparison. I set the JPEGs to Fine. Hope this helps.

NR +2

NR 0

NR -2

Sorry, I don't have the time to pixel-peep (I really don't do such thing unless I am evaluating or prepping an image for cropping). I believe all the settings were identical.

Thanks. All three images look good to me bearing in mind it was taken through a window. I don't see any detail smearing/watercolour effect on any of them. The differences between the NR values is fairly subtle.

I'm now even more confused about the X20. Other landscape shots like the ones I posted 100% crops of earlier in this thread show terrible smearing of detail in landscape images with low contrast detail. I wonder under what circumstances it occurs?

As an aside, the camera does show impressive corner sharpness - look at the clothes line on the bottom right at 100% (the trees on the bottom left are out of focus obviously).

Hi! I may have found the "watercolor" culprit but I need to investigate further (am on a working holiday)... Apparently, if you set the IS to include Continous + Motion, instead of just Motion on mine, the smearing effect becomes more pronounced on areas that is slightly out of focus.

Also, some impromptu tests also show that DR400 also contributes to this effect. All this, somehow, only affects SOOC JPEGS but not in many cases on my tests. The key seems to be where the subjects are in motion and/or the camera's handheld. Since DR essentially takes multiple shots of the same scene in one shutter press, it would perfectly explain the smearing especially if the shots have subtle pixel shifts between shots!

A good test would have the same scene and settings with one handheld and another on a tripod. Since my test shots above were on a tripod, I can't find any smearing, which may probably prove my theory.

May write a full article on this one while comparing similar effects I noticed on some P&S cams too.

That would be great when you have some time. I'm sure if you confirm your theories it will be of great interest to many X20 owners - and potential owners (and worthy of starting a new thread rather than replying in this one).

When it happens it looks awful, but there are also plenty of examples like your one here where there is no sign of detail smearing. So I'm really confused about what circumstances conspire to cause it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow