HS50EXR and F900EXR reviews, continued ...

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,503Gear list
Like?
Re: Test implications for the F900
In reply to Wellington100, Apr 2, 2013

Wellington100 wrote:

Hi Kim, based on all of your tests of the HS50, the outcome for the F900 looks very good. The only question is whether the lens is sharp or suffers from de-centering issues like so many cameras did from the F500 onwards.

Yeah, I have not done much with the cam at wide angle yet ... been waiting for the weekend to get it out into the woods with the 50. Should be fun if the weather breaks again.

If the F900 lens is good, then this camera looks like it will be a winner. Am I right in thinking that WiFi and or GPS are a thing of the past now in the F series and does it matter?

WiFi is able to transfer to your phone directly (the camera becomes a hot spot) and it is able to take the GPS coordinates from your phone, so they have both covered now. It;s a bit clunky, but I plan to do a video review showing how that works.

Assuming the lens is good, I feel that the 4 degree angle of view of the F900 at full zoom is not all that different from the 2 degree angle of view of the HS50 for composing to justify the HS50 over the F900. I easily live without the convenience of an EVF for the sake of pocketability.

Well, double the reach is still pretty slick

But I agree ...

The EVF is useful because of the reach, but it is not all that nice once you've used a mirrorless from Panasonic for example.

Pocketability is really useful, and is probably worth the reach sacrifice.

The F900EXR will probably be better at telephoto macro ... needs some testing. Super macro is a joke because of the issue with letting light in. But attaching an achromat again makes the HS interesting ... I wish I could keep it through spring into Peony season

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow