Missing the 70-200 f2.8 (warning, long post)

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,149Gear list
Like?
Re: Missing the 70-200 f2.8 (warning, long post)
In reply to karl722, Apr 2, 2013

Here is my solution: Minolta 200mm f/2.8 G APO HS + LA-EA2. The lens is compact and lighter. It works beautifully via LA-EA2 on my NEX-3. IMO, this prime lens is a better match for NEX than the bigger and heavier zoom.

As far as E-mount version is concerned, the primary issue would be: Cost and Size. While it may be possible to shrink the lens a teeny bit for E-mount compared to A-mount, there are a few issues:

-Should it be built for APS-C, or FF? But, either way, 70-200 will be 70-200. Downsizing advantage with APS-C would come into play only if field of view is matched (70-200 FF would be 45-135mm APS-C).

-If 70-200, could be built f/4 to make it lighter and smaller.

-If it is indeed built, and costs considerably more than the typical telephoto zoom it will be difficult to justify the price if AF speed cannot keep up for optimal use limiting its use mostly to slow moving or non-moving subjects, if at all whereas 70-200/2.8 and like are primarily marketed for action and they can command the price for it.

Some of these are points I’d discussed with others elsewhere, regarding need for such fast telephoto. IMO, it will be far easy to market such lens if hybrid AF system in NEX can handle it. Until then, I would say, EA2 is your option. Also look into Sigma 50-150/2.8, also via EA2. It is an APS-C lens (and translates to 75-225mm equivalent FL).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow