HS50EXR and F900EXR reviews, continued ...

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,052Gear list
Like?
Test implications for the F900
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Apr 2, 2013

Kim Letkeman wrote:

This is part 12 ... http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2013/04/hs50exr-and-f900exr-review-part-12-bad.html

It revisits that awful result I had in bad light. This result is much different, with the HS50 looking fantastic in warm, low light. This is truncated, with only 100, 1600 and 3200 points.

I also include an LvsM comparison, where M crushes L. In bad light that was never in doubt.

And I include a film mode ladder with a slightly surprising result.

I took a short walk this afternoon in a snow squall and caught this image of a Robin. Since it was very overcast, the HS50 chose 400 ISO to allow me to shoot at 1000mm ... and the Robin was hopping along constantly on a worm hunt. (As they say, once you gone worm ...)

So even though the light sucked and the shutter speed sucked and the ISO sucked and the bird would not sit still, I quite like this image ...

-- hide signature --

Hi Kim, based on all of your tests of the HS50, the outcome for the F900 looks very good. The only question is whether the lens is sharp or suffers from de-centering issues like so many cameras did from the F500 onwards.

If the F900 lens is good, then this camera looks like it will be a winner. Am I right in thinking that WiFi and or GPS are a thing of the past now in the F series and does it matter?

Assuming the lens is good, I feel that the 4 degree angle of view of the F900 at full zoom is not all that different from the 2 degree angle of view of the HS50 for composing to justify the HS50 over the F900. I easily live without the convenience of an EVF for the sake of pocketability.

-- hide signature --

Doctors are bad for your lifestyle.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow