Pocket backup for my OMD EM-5

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,086Gear list
Like?
Re: Pocket backup for my OMD EM-5
In reply to Neurad1, Apr 2, 2013

Neurad1 wrote:

I am traveling to Ireland soon and would like to have an unobstrusive pocketable camera to use indoors (or outdoors when appropriate/necessary). I want it have IQ sufficient that if (God forbid) something happened to the Oly I would still come home with good pictures. I have a Canon S95 that is good, but perhaps not worthy of the role I describe above. I can't afford a Sony RX1 (and it's not pocketable, at least in my pants). So.....

I'm looking for opinions about the best pocketable camera to be the Robin to my OMD Batman. I have posted in this forum because I really am interested in what other M43 users would consider a worthy companion/backup in this category. If you all agree with my wife that: "I don't NEED a new camera, just bring the dang S95" then vote for that. Thanks for indulging me.

I'm considering:

Sony RX1

Nikon Coolpix A

?Others

If you still like the S95 I would go with that.  If you have money that burning a hole in your pockets then I just might go with the E-PM2 so it can share lenses with the E-M5.  It uses the same sensor as your E-M5 so you know the image quality.

The RX1 is a neat camera but is kind of big and it is a fixed non-zoom lens.  Still the full size sensor is kind of neat.  The Coolpix A seems to be a nice camera but I didn't like it when I handled one at my local camera store.  It felt a little too plasticy plus it lack's an EVF and even a place to pug in an optional EVF.  So for me personally neither one would excite me.  Maybe it is just an idea of not being able to change lenses and be stuck with the fix focal length.

Another option is the Pentax Q.  For a small camera it has excellent image quality and then couple of their lenses.  Couple of my photo-friends own the Q and it is impressive how good the image quality is form such a small camera.  It is too small of a camera for me.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow