Missing the 70-200 f2.8 (warning, long post)

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
karl722
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Missing the 70-200 f2.8 (warning, long post)
Apr 2, 2013

I bought a refurb NEX-3 a few years ago and fell in love with it.  I bought the NEX-6 when it came out and love it even more.  I've been slowly selling off my Canon DSLR gear.

I have the SEL55210 and have been really enjoying it.  It's a really good lens, especially for the money.  But there are many situations where I want the f2.8.  I still have my Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS.  So, I've been considering a few options:

-Buying an electronic (including AF) Canon EF to E-mount adaptor.

• Disadvantage: slow AF, may be hard to use huge lens on a mirrorless body, especially switching between focus ring and zoom ring (I'm assuming I'll want to manually focus much of the time).
  • Advantage: This may be a good kit to "tide me over" until a possible similar native E-mount lens comes out (which may never happen).  This would also allow me to use my 17-55 f2.8, which may be interesting?
  • Cost: $225

-Selling the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS for about $1300 and buying an LA-EA2 + Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS.

• Disadvantage: I think this gear would hold is value less well than the Canon gear, which may be a disadvantage if I need to sell it if a similar E-mount lens were ever made.  It also would be big on a mirrorless body, but since it would have good autofocus and I won't have to move my hands between zoom/focus rings as much, this may be less of an issue.  The reviews of the Sigma lens are less positive about its sharpness, which concerns me.  Lastly, I really like IS/OS/VR, but there are relatively few stabilized lenses for the A-mount (which makes the LA-EA2 less useful to me)
  • Advantage: great autofocus
  • Cost: around $225

-Selling the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS and buying an a37 or a57 + the Tamron 70-200 f2.8

• Disadvantage: potentially slowish/noisy AF.  Gear may not hold its value as well.  Carrying a second body some of the time?
  • Advantage: (sensor) Stabilized, plus other lenses I get for it would be stabilized.  Sharpness of this lens seems pretty good.  A bigger body should make it easier to handle a bigger lens.
  • Cost: Negative, would actually get to keep around $250 from the deal.

Related questions/notes:

• I have experimented with FD telephoto primes.  The IQ can vary wildly but is never great (sharpness/color/contrast) when wide open.  I just think I need a more modern lens.
  • Will anyone ever make an E-mount 70-200 f2.8?  It seems clear that Sony never will.  I thought had read that short-flange-distance-makes-for-smaller-lenses advantage applies less for telephoto lenses.  If this is true, then we may never see such a beast.
  • Can anyone comment more on the usability of such huge lenses on an NEX body?  I've seen a few comments here and there, but would like to hear more.
  • The Metabones speedbooster looks very interesting, of course.  But the vignetting on telephoto lenses concerns me, and I just don't see spending $600 on this.

So, thoughts?  Anything I'm missing?  Sorry for the long post!

Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A37 Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow