Are Macs better than PCs for photography work? If so, why?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions thread
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,839
Like?
Re: You are wrong..
In reply to gaussian blur, Apr 2, 2013

gaussian blur wrote:

Richard wrote:

Plastic generally will crack or shatter. Metal will just dent. That means the Mac will likely survive a fall much better.

Sorry, that is just not true. Metal transfers the full force of the impact. Plastic absorbs the downside being if to hard of a hit it can crack rarely shatters.

Hit something made of metal with a hammer and it dents. Hit something made of plastic with a hammer and it cracks or breaks. Easy to do. Hit either hard enough and whatever was inside will no longer work.

Does not mean that metal exterior is better or that the Apple will last longer.

But I have seen macs quit working after being dropped it does not mean they are more durable because they use metal case. How they were dropped and what damage was sustained has more to do with whether they work after or not.

That's true. Anything can fail if dropped.

In fact the HP uses an patented process that uses an accelerometer to tell if the laptop is falling and park the heads on the hard drive to save your data. Something the mac does not have. HP ProtectSmart helps protect your notebook’s data from accidental bumps and bruises. It senses motion and stops your hard drive to help protect your entire digital life.

Macs have had an accelerometer to detect falls and park the hard drive since the iBook days, many years ago. They were the first company to do it.

Ok, it appears they both have this. But the HP is half the price.

No it isn't.

We can debate this all day but anyone with half a brain and an once of logic will figure it out for themselves,

Retina resolution is not wasted and you don't need a magnifying glass. You've obviously never used one.

Yes, have used one, cannot see the difference and neither could anyone else that was with me. You need a manifying glass.

If you can't see the difference, don't get one. Meanwhile, most people can see the difference. Everyone I know who has a Retina MacBook or Retina iPad complains when they have to use a non-Retina display. There is definitely a difference.

We can debate this all day but anyone with half a brain and an once of logic will figure it out for themselves,

There may be a difference in color rendition, but that would be subjective as to which is better, but as far a resolution, sorry most can't but again, leave it up to the individual, they can figure it out with their own eyes.

But even if you can notice a tiny difference, is it worth over double the price? For most people no.

It's not double. A Retina MacBook Pro starts at $1499 from Apple, less if you shop around.

Not at 15" That would be $1799 again, anyone with half a brain can click on a link and see the price.

Funny how nobody mentions Google's Chrome Pixel, a $1300 laptop that can only run a browser.

But I wouldn't buy one of those either. And we are talking which is better to edit photos on, the Google unit is not even in the picture, forgive the pun.

You can't run apps, unless it's a web app in a browser and you have an Internet connection. It's the pinnacle of overpriced, around $1000 more than a typical ChromeBook, but since it's not Apple, nobody bashes it.

I will bash it if you like. It is a stupid unit for editing photos. It is overpriced and practically useless as a laptop. You would be better off with a pad device.

What is funny for as high resolution screens apple puts out it does not put blue ray players in computers, the only media that can acutally produce 1080p (please don't tell me that streaming internet media is 1080p, the most networks do not have the bandwidth to cover blu rays constant 36Mbit per second bandwidth speed.

Blu-Ray doesn't sell well and requires a full DRM path, which is extra cost for something few people want. Netflix is the single largest use of the Internet during peak hours.

Blu Ray disk sales continue to grow
http://blog.cdrom2go.com/2011/05/blu-ray-sales-to-top-400-million-discs-by-2013/

If people can't see the difference between the HD on netflix, and bluray, how can they tell the difference between retina display on a tiny 15.3 inch screen? They're not.

I can tell you this my first projector was 720p, my next one was 1080p with 3d.

Most People cannot tell the difference even on a 144" screen between 720 and 1080 in casual distances viewing of movies. Some of my A/Videofile friends noticed more screen door when sitting closer to the screen on my 720 p screen, they also thought it looked sharper but the distance to each pixel was greater. The 1080 p projector has the pixels closer together and less distance between each pixel which make for almost no screen door effects at closer view distances.

Point being when compared to resolution, there becomes a point of diminishing returns and on a small computer screen even 900 lines of resolution start to max it out of r most people are able to see.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow