How I've configured my NEX7 for manual/auto focus...

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
turnstyle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571
Like?
How I've configured my NEX7 for manual/auto focus...
Apr 2, 2013

Hi all, I tend to fiddle with my settings every so often -- I'm trying something new, and I thought it might be worth sharing...

1) Camera is set to Manual Focus

2) Autofocus Area is set to Multi

3) AF/MF toggle is set to Hold

4) Function button is set to Focus Settings

So with this setup I'm generally in manual focus. If I adjust focus, Focus Assist kicks in and zooms me in.

Or I can get an auto focus by simply holding the AF/MF button. And, because Autofocus Area is set to Muilt, the camera can make some guesses about where to focus. For example, it might use face detection and choose to focus on a face. I usually prefer Center Focus when I have autofocus enabled (because I don't like how Focus Assist just chooses a box with Multi focus) -- with this setup, you can let go of the AF/MF button and zoom in to tweak focus wherever you like.

If I click the Function button, I can adjust focus *without* zooming in at all -- which isn't otherwise possible (assuming Focus Assist is enabled) -- and, from here I can also move the orange rectangle that indicate where Focus Assist will zoom in, and zoom in exactly where I want. (I do think touch would be handy for that.)

For me, this setup gives a nice balance of having both manual and auto focus available, and it encourages me to use manual focus more.

fwiw, I don't really like setting AF/MF to Toggle, because it always reverts back to the default if you review a shot or enter the menus -- and there is no obvious visual cue as to whether you are set to manual or auto focus.

I hope that all made sense -- and I hope somebody might find it useful!

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow