Pan/leica 25mm f1.4 quality check? Opinions please?

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dav363
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Pan/leica 25mm f1.4 quality check? Opinions please?
Apr 2, 2013

I've had this lens for a while now and never really fallen in love with it, which is odd considering it's DxO mark rating of 21!  So I started playing around with it today and came to the conclusion that it's just not as sharp as it should be, and perhaps I bought a dud.  Strangely enough, I'm quite happy with the results at close focusing distances (i.e less than 1m) but beyond that the quality seems to drop significantly as distance increases.  Does anyone else have a similar experience?

The following shots were taken in the garden this morning at f2.8 (sharpest aperture for this lens) and plenty of light so definitely no camera shake.  iso 200.  no processing other than LR standard sharpening on import. Each images manually focused, in each case the sharpest of several is chosen (although there was nothing really between them).

If anyone has similar images they can post to compare that would be a big help.  Otherwise your thoughts on whether these are what I should expect from this lens or are they below par.

Performance is at it's worst at these distances, focus is on the front foliage of the tree, see 100% crop below.

100% crop - this looks poor to me...

This one is focused on the group of flowers centre frame - shot from about 3-4m away

100% crop again not the detail I would expect.

Finally this is taken around minimum focusing distance of 0.3m

100% crop this times looks not bad, although still not razor sharp...

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow