Camera choice for Europe trip

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,329Gear list
Like?
Re: Decisions, decisions
In reply to John.Laninga, Apr 2, 2013

John.Laninga wrote:

Thanks for your reply.  I have been to these cities before, and I understand the comments about a fixed 35mm lens.  But in a way that is interesting too, as it forces you to focus on photography in a different way than when just zooming in and out.

For sure, I'm taking my LX7.  That has already proven to be a very capable pocket camera, and it has an excellent, fast lens. But that little sensor...

Now I still have to decide between the X100 or my GH3 with weather sealed 12-35mm lens....

I would expect I won't make the final decision until a minute or two before we actually leave for the cruise.   I guess it would be easier if I only had one camera!

John, this may be controversial here but while I love my X100S, outside of its street and documentary purpose it can be somewhat limiting. It cannot become a UWA or a portrait lens

I would hesitate to take it as my only camera travelling  I also really like the GH3 and I genuinely think that if you took only the GH3 and 12-35 you would have a combination which could cover much more than an X100 (even if the X100 would be better for the shots at 35).

In this case, for this purpose, since you own the GH3 already, I would definitely take it over getting an X100.

If you do decide to take the X100, do get the WA adaptor.

Simon

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow