a580 to a99 - Crazy to upgrade? or go with an a77?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
MikeNannie
Regular MemberPosts: 394Gear list
Like?
Re: a580 to a99 - Crazy to upgrade? or go with an a77?
In reply to zackiedawg, Apr 2, 2013

zackiedawg wrote:

MikeNannie wrote:

I agree that I certainly could study up more. I've tried off camera flash / bounces, and other diffusers over the years, and a Stroboframe as well. Results are just so inconsistent. I've used about every camera setting as well and it just seems to me that you should be able to setup the camera to get a reasonably good result consistently using a flash and TTL.

I usually dial in about -.7 flash compensation too in order to prevent getting a blown out foreground. But then sometimes you get an image that's just too dark, and then the next one is fine - just extremely frustrating inconsistent results - across all my recent cameras.  It's almost like the TTL system isn't working correctly with the 5600 HS flash - it's just that inconsistent. I've sometimes wondered if there isn't a problem with my 5600 HS, even though I bought it new and it's never been abused.

It certainly sounds like the camera and flash aren't communicating properly - maybe indeed the TTL system isn't functioning properly.  This should not be an area of concern with the A580.  Though I'm typically a natural light shooter, and do not prefer to use flash in my regular photography because I like shadow and color cast and other interesting effects in low light, I do also occasionally do hired shoots of events, tournaments, etc. including indoor shooting, for which I need to use flash.  I use my A580 and my HVL-F42 flash for these occasions, and have not had any problems like yours.  I do not need to dial in any flash compensation, no blown out bits, no motion blur or too-slow shutters - the flash seems to sync perfectly with the camera and is quite reliable.  I usually bounce my flash in indoor shoots to avoid hot points and redeye.

I'm thinking either your flash isn't working properly on the camera, or maybe try reading up on flash to see if different settings might help.  Even the el-cheapo F42 flash works perfectly for me with indoor event shooting - which often involves 'candid' and random shots of folks moving, dancing, eating, talking, etc., not just posed portrait shots.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Thanks Justin. I think you and others may be onto something with there being an issue with my flash. I'll have to rent another and do some testing.

MikeNannie's gear list:MikeNannie's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow