Sigma SD14: Which is the largest size of CF can it support?

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Questions thread
Lin Evans
Forum ProPosts: 15,642Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma SD14: Which is the largest size of CF can it support?
In reply to AdamT, Apr 2, 2013

AdamT wrote:

I didn`t realise that the SD14 was FAT32 hence why you`re getting large cards to work

BUT, you stated """"With Compact Flash, the controller is on the chip - only SD and other's of its type have limitations on size imposed by firmware"""

Which is Incorrect , the SD9 and 10 for instance can`t access above 2Gb due to the limitations of the FAT16 filing system the cameras employ (computers are the same, Some motherboards in days past had issues with drives bigger than 2Gb and needed a BIOS update) - people have tried hacking larger cards to work with varying success and failure but try anything bigger than 2Gb in the camera and it`ll either fail or only format 2Gb of the card ..

The truth of it is that the SD14 is FAT32 complaint so the camera can handle all cards made today (as stated by Alf) - but it doesn`t apply to all CF devices due to limitations of older FAT systems employed (try using a 32Gb card in a Nikon Cooolpix 950 for a start - that used the original FAT, the cam shipped with an 8Mb - LOL)

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

Hi Adam,

I think we are in agreement in concept, but not in semantics. Any size CF card can be used by any camera which uses CF cards. The "capacity" of that card in that particular camera may be limited by the firmware but this is not the case with SD and some other media. If, for example, you put a huge capacity modern SD card in an older camera with firmware limitations, the card simply will not work. On the other hand if you place a 32 gigabyte CF card in an older camera such as the 950 (I have CP950, CP990, CP995 and CP4500 Nikons myself) it will only function if reformatted appropriately for that camera, and then will only have the capacity allocated by that file allocation. But, it will work.

What I meant by no limitations on size is that virtually "any" capacity CF card can be used by any device using CF cards. It's storage limitation is format dependent but that doesn't prevent the card from being used since it can be always, in my experience, be reformatted appropriately.

Best regards,

Lin

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow