Does the newly announced D800 firmware work for you?

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
FrankG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,366
Like?
Re: Does the newly announced D800 firmware work for you?
In reply to John Dolores, Apr 2, 2013

John Dolores wrote:

This doesn't make sense. There is NO difference between "Release" priority and "Focus" priority. They do the same thing.

That's true if using manual focus mode yes - but if using AF then "Focus Priority" mode behaves as expected (at least on my D800).  (I haven't tested the "Release Priority" mode since the update but I expect that won't have changed).   So in Focus Priority with an AF lens in AF mode (and using the shutter button for focus & release) if you press and hold down the shutter button the camera first completes the acquisition of focus and then, once focus is achieved, immediately fires the shutter.  So you can't really say there is no difference.

However I agree it would be better if an implementation of so-called "trap focus" could be re-introduced so that Focus Priority would work with manual AF.  I could find that VERY useful!  I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be easy to achieve.

Frank

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow