Is Full frame still the most versatile?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Morris Sullivan
Senior MemberPosts: 4,586
Like?
Yes, Here's why.
In reply to plevyadophy, Apr 2, 2013

plevyadophy wrote:

Are you saying that, if I have a telephoto lens that has clear signs of pincushion distortion on my 35mm, that it will worsen if I stick the lens in front of a smaller sensor and disappear (or at least be reduced) if I stick the same lens in front of a larger sensor (notwithstanding the issues of lens rear to sensor distance on the larger fromat camera)?

And likewise, am I to take it that my wide angle lens on 35mm that shows heaps of barrel distortion will produce an image displaying minimal barrel distortion if I put in front of a smaller sensor, and I guess even more distortion wil be displayed if I put that lens on a larger format?

Am I to take it that is how things work??

Yes, For example:

Take a wide angle lens on FF 35mm and crop out the smaller portion that would be captured by a DX sensor and you will see less distortion. Likewise, if you were able to somehow expand the image circle of a telephoto lens you would get much more distortion as you got further from the center.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow