webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,770
Like?
Re: HELP! Both Raid Drives "not readable"
In reply to Stu 5, Apr 2, 2013

Stu 5 wrote:

Joe Tam wrote:

Hi,

I have a Newertech Guardian Maxiumus with 2x2TB drives in a RAID 1 on Macbook Pro 2011 13" running 10.8.4. I turned on the drive tonight and got the dreaded "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." I saw the "rebuild" light blink but the drive indicators did not go red to indicate which drive was dead.

I tried Disk Utility but couldn't see the drives.

I removed the drives and put them in a Black X USB docking station but the same error showed up.

I purchased Disk Warrior but DW doesn't even see the drive.

I finally ran Data Rescue from Prosoft and it has sees the drive in quickscan mode and allowing me to copy files file by file/folder by tolder to a secondary 2 TB drive.

Unfortunately it is going to take about 40 hours and I'm just wondering how Data Rescue is working and DW does not even see the drive.

Do you know if there is any way to get DW to see the drive and get back the data faster?

Do you know what causes this error? Could it be the Newertech Drive? I have the drive in a Sentry Fire safe and I was moving it earlier tonight on the ground. I hope that didn't cause any static buildup. Or maybe the Newertech drive sucks and caused an electric spike.

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this.

Disk Warrior is not a data recovery program and if you try to use it as one it can actually do more damage than you started with. It is OK at what it does but NEVER use it to try to recover data in this way as you could risk all the data on the drive. What your doing at the moment with Data Recovery is the way to go.

Hmmm...do you know what DW does? You can definitely use it to recover data. I have done it. DW will scan your drive and build a new Catalog file for all the files it can find on the drive. It also compares it to the current catalog that may be partially broken or have numerous other errors. It will then, without writing to the drive, mount the new Catalog and it will look as you have two drives. Using the new Catalog you can browse the drive and copy the files from it to another drive (that is the data rescue part). When you have done that, you can ask DW to try to replace the old catalog with the new one. If that works you're good. If that fails you have more serious problems with the drive and you're happy you copied the files from the temporary mounted catalog.

Data Rescue works differently and is also a tool that should be in your toolbox. I have used that to with great success. Sounds like it's the tool to use in this case.

What brand are the drives inside the unit?

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow